Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nothing New is Nothing New

We kind of hoped to be writing this blog post with a 3 yr old little girl sitting at our side in West Africa. Needless to say, if we had traveled to Africa already most of you would have already known.  So we are stuck here in the Metroplex playing the waiting game for now.  If you've followed our adoption journey over the past year, you'll know that this is really nothing new.

The latest things to happen have been exciting and gut wrenching all at the same time.  We have been waiting for J's biological father to get to Bukavu so we can fly him in to his interview with the Embassy.  The GREAT news is he arrived in Bukavu and is ready to go.  The gut wrenching news is the airline has decided to not fly out until Saturday.  We feel as if we are looking at J through the glass at the zoo right now....we are so close to experiencing life with her and holding her, but she's just out of reach.  So our world is literally dangling by a thread right now.  We are waiting on one phone call....seriously....one phone call.
Now, for those of you who have adopted, or know much about the process, you 'get it.'  For those of you who have gone through pregnancy and have waited for that moment to finally come....you 'get it.'  For us....this is all pretty new.  I'll just jump out on the ledge and let you know I'm not the most patient man to ever walk this great planet.  In fact, I'm about to jump out of my skin from anxiety, excitement, and frustration.  But I've kind of learned a little something over these past few weeks....it doesn't really matter what I do or how I feel....this thing is going to happen when the Lord is ready for it to.

So there are a few things you can pray with us for.  First of all, in Africa no one really predicts tomorrow because there's really no telling what tomorrow might bring.  We could wake up tomorrow morning to learn that a new flight is taking off and the bio dad is on his way to the Embassy.  That would be a miracle, and we believe it's not too far fetched for our good God!  So you can pray a flight will open up.  The second thing we are asking God to do is to process this all quickly once it happens.  We need an appointment at the Embassy and then we need a stamp.  Sounds simple, but, if you've ever tried to get an immigrant VISA, you know it's not.

As of right now, we still believe traveling in the next week is a real possibility.  We are praying hard for this, and something tells me it may just happen.  I feel like I've said that before.....maybe 10 or 20 times!  But we are getting very close.  And in those moments when we get knocked down....in those moments we don't see a lot of hope, I have been reminding myself of a few things:  a successful craniotomy on my 27 yr old wife that went a smooth as possible....Amy's clearance to travel and experience the biggest moment of our marriage yet.....my baby girl is in a malaria infested area of Congo and God has protected her so faithfully.....every picture we see of J seems to show more of her personality and bigger smiles.....and most of all, in the days when my life was most hopeless and helpless, God reached down for me, the way we're trying to do for J, to adopt me and give me new life.  So frustrations come and frustrations go....but God's faithfulness has been the theme of our life this past year.  Reminds me of a guy's words a few thousand years ago.... 'The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord-Job 1:21'
(Graphic Made By Amy)

We're not incredibly faithful people.  We just serve an incredibly faithful God.  So if we meet J next week or next year, we believe it's all in God's perfect timing.  Have you stopped to think about that today?  What is God doing in your life right now?  Are there things you are trying to force that He just won't seem to give into?  We're on a journey of trusting Him....I hope you'll consider doing the same!

Can I finish up by thanking a very special lady?  There's a lady in our agency by the name of Julia.  I won't give you all of the details or her info, but she has worked so hard to bring our child home!  She wakes up about 1-2am each day to talk to those in Africa working on our case....then spends the rest of her day answering questions from all 9 families who are in the same boat we are in!  She's been so patient, and has loved on our little girl when we haven't had the chance to do so.  So Julia, if you're reading this, we are so much indebted to you!  You've been a blessing to us and we are so grateful for all you've done and are doing.  Just think...in a few weeks you won't have to worry about my name coming up on your phone every half hour!!

-Jared


10 comments:

  1. So, so good. We serve such a great God. We are praying J home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading, I remembered the many times God has been faithful in my life eventhough I wasn't faithful myself, but as you pointed out He loves us. I'm sure that when we are waiting for something to happen in His own time, He´s teaching us a lesson, as a good father that He is. Thanks a lot for such moving words. You and Amy are always in my prayers. God Bless You!!!! I'll be eager waiting with you to hear the good news :)

    Lili
    Sweet Blessings & Learning Treats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying hard that your sweet family will ALL be together soon!

    Jared... You didn't make those graphics? Hmmm?? I thought you had wicked skills?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, my heart goes out to you. I am praying for your daughter to come home soon.
    Children are such a blessing in life.

    Rhonda
    Classroom Fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! Praying for you & your new little one. I can't wait to hear that you finally have her in your arm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have adopted twice from China and know exactly what you are going through. When you least expect it, you will get the call that all adoptive parents wait for. It happens quickly so enjoy every minute that you have now. Take time for yourself, rest, and keep it in God's hands. The adoption trip is incredibly exciting but can be stressful. You are in a strange place with a new little one, the paperwork continues, and you can get run down. Keep breathing and know that once your new little girl is in your arms it will be worth everything that you and your husband are going through now. You continue to be in my prayers. May God bless all of you and keep you safe.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking about you guys!!! 4+ years of IVF treatments to get our twins... I get it. Hoping and praying that you can bring your little girl home very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep checking in... getting anxious. Waiting to see something to the effect of "Guess who is in my arms as I type this...." Hoping and praying that your daughter will be with you guys soon! What an amazing story you will have to share with her and all that you encounter. A true testimony to how Awesome is our Lord most high!!! Praise the Lord! I also pray that you are fully healed when your daughter arrives in your arms, so you and hubby will have nothing to worry about, but her. Praise the Lord for all he has done and will continue to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I amazed by your strength and courage! Amy you are a wonderful teacher and MOM now too!

    ReplyDelete